Friday, February 8, 2013

Keep Speaking

road from Raab Park, Poulsbo

God I saw you today
in the man at the park
walking in the rain
beside his black dog.
I heard you when he said
Her and I gained some weight last holiday
and I laughed and answered, It's easy to do.

Too I saw you in the woman
throwing an old tennis ball
for her dog, when she laughed
with joy as he bounded after it.

I knew you in the quiet of the gnarled apple trees
glistening in gathering evening;
I pulled off my hood and the cold rain wet my hair
and I think that was you, too.

I heard your voice as I walked past my neighbor's house
Telling me to knock on her door
but there were others waiting for me at home
so I walked on by.  Still,

keep speaking, God.  

--klc
 

1 comment:

  1. Last two stanzas are lovely.

    I wrote a short stanza just last week that had a similar resonance to your "I pulled off my hood and the cold rain wet my hair and I think that was you, too."

    I like yours better, the simple power of the phrase.

    This poem reminds me of Wendell Berry.

    ReplyDelete